Saturday, September 1, 2012

'Confections' of a Botanist Pt.1

Today I was inspired. I had an amazing day at work after having a terrible one the day before. I decided to do some baking after my lovely made a salad and lasagna. The salad dressing he made was simple; he put so many pieces of tomato, onion, cucumber and lettuce in, and it was so good. I knew he had a gift with food, I think he just needs to explore it more.

Anyways, obviously without him, I made 3 things tonight. I did some vegan baking The first was a carob-banana bread that came out looking SO fine. The second; fruit & fibre bran muffins with all this classy dried fruit, coconut and oats. The last was really fun: autumn olive marmalade. I FINALLY got some agar to use as the jeller (agar is seaweed gelatin, so vegan) and the strained sugared jelly is chilling in the fridge overnight. Awesome tip for making your own jelly: some types of berries, when boiled with sugar and agar in my experience, actually shed their pulp to fully expose the seed for straining! I found this particularly helpful, as Autumn Olive fruit are tiny and were really hard to mash. So I took my chances, and it worked out just great. Pictures to come tomorrow.

The best test for great baked goods is if they taste as good the second day they've been 'alive' as they did when they were first made. Very few treats can pass this test consistently. I will post pictures tomorrow of my fabulous, super-healthy creations!

c

0 notes to leave behind:

Post a Comment